Sunday, August 10, 2014

To Cheat or to Repeat - Andrew Rota

http://www.juyofo.com/2010/10/9-ways-most-often-used-in-cheating.html 
      Most of the people I have asked so far have admitted to have cheated in high school or college. Alarmingly, some of them know of certain individuals who have cheated in exams even at post-graduate level.  The sadder part of this is all of them are Christians. I heard my brother once proudly announcing their motto back in college, “It is better to cheat than to repeat”. He is also a Christian.
     It would seem that many Christian students think there is nothing wrong with cheating in school. Maybe they think that since everyone is doing it then it should be normal for students. This reminds me of Galileo Galilei who was branded as heretic in early 1600’s because he believed that the earth was round at the time when everyone believed that the earth was flat. My point is, not because all of your classmates are doing it or your teachers ignore (even encourage) cheating then it is OK. In my elementary years, our teachers would repeatedly say “an honest centavo (P0.01) is better than a stolen peso (P1). I accepted their wisdom though I vividly remember cheating in an exam one day I after I was absent. I thought to myself, “I’m excuse from cheating because I did not know we will have an exam.” I repent because I can’t think of any reason to justify my cheating in a test.
     Is not cheating a form of lying and stealing? In consented cheating, we lie and take other people’s answers and copy them as our own. In unconsented cheating it is like stealing the answers of others and claiming them as your own. We all know that “not to lie” and “not to steal” are 2 of the 10 commandments. Jesus also taught against lying and stealing in different occasions of his ministry. Jesus added in Matt 5:13-16 when called His disciples to be “the light and salt of the earth”. Now if as “light and salt” we cheat in school together with non-believers then “how can they see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven?” (v16b).
     I think there are more disadvantages to cheating than advantages. The only advantage of cheating is you won’t fail that exam (given that you have a reliable source). However the disadvantages that I believe in cheating are several. One, you risk being humiliated and getting disciplinary action the moment you will be caught cheating. Second, you will tend to remember your lessons less if ever you really on cheating rather than studying well. Third, you are missing the important lesson of failing and taking responsibility. A mature person (especially Christian) takes the responsibility of his her actions. Whether the consequences are good or bad he/she must be will to accept the consequences and learn from them. Fourth, cheating in class could lead to more serious forms of cheating, lying and stealing later in life. Lastly, and the most important disadvantage of cheating is you are staining your own integrity before God and other believers. Nothing escapes God and I believe if we don’t avoid cheating early in life He would discipline us later to make us learn. Likewise, your testimony of cheating in class doesn’t compliment your testimony of your new life in Jesus. Cheating may make us pass an exam in class but it will make us fail the more important test in life.


Guide questions for reactions
1. What do your Christian friends think about cheating in school?
2.  Is there any justifiable reason to cheat in class?
3.  What do you when you see someone cheat in an exam but you also sometimes cheat during exams?

18 comments:

  1. My teacher said cheating is about relieving your anxiety about having no answers. However it is still a very immature thing to do and has serious consequences in the future because you are stealing from your self opportunities to learn and to grow.
    For me, there is no justifiable reason to cheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we are stealing our opportunity to learn from our mistakes if we cheat.

      Delete
  2. I have cheated a few times (as in rarely!) I have cheated a few times (as in rarely!) during high school and college (nursing career because of too much pressure). But here are the reasons why I stopped and ended the nonesense entirely:
    1. I don't trust the other person's answer. Whatever his/her answer is, I would question it and doing that would take more of my time. Might as well give my best judgment.
    2. I took my education seriously and studied hard. Although I didn't know everything, I still knew enough and cheating became less appealing.
    3. I have never really been good at it because I would constantly think that I'd get caught.
    4. I would hate being branded as a cheater.

    There is also something to be said about the person who allows another person to cheat off of him. During high school, I have been constantly on the receving end of such behavior and I hated it because it felt unfair. I did the studying and they were reaping the benefits. Maybe that was also one of the reasons why I stopped doing it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true once you are caught cheating you will already be branded and marked by your teachers. Back in college, no one wants to sit with me during exams because most of classmates came to know I don't share my answers.

      Delete
  3. Non of our parents or guardians advice us to cheat, they always said, tell me the truth than I can forgive you or excuse you. there are many people who became thieves gangsters, and killers because they were not educated in this area and more over other inspire them to do so and it is an easy means of earning knowledge or wealth. I considered them that they are not a children of God. As a children of God we should obey what our Creator told us to do. If we are faithful in small things than we are given bigger responsibility. but if we are unfaithful we are condemned not only by the society but also by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Christians still cheat in school bro. Believers are still children of God even if we continue to sin. We should let God transform us in order for us to forget our sinful ways.

      Delete
  4. I could vividly remember the early days of my life when I have to sit for my first state-level High school exams where I saw a lot of my friends cheating and copying in every exam day after day. Sometimes they would ask me but I would remain silent so long that finally they knew what I meant and would look for other friends who could help them. In that exam, I could proudly testify until today that I did not use any unfair means to pass that exam because I made a commitment prior to that exam that I will not involve myself in any means of cheating or copying during the exam. It takes a self-commitment with God to refrain from such practices once we know the value of living a god-honoring life even if it has to cost you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard someone once said "I don't lie, cheat and steal, and I don't tolerate anyone who does." This is a lot easier than done. Sometime it is easy for us to avoid cheating but we are scared (based from experience) to report those who are cheating.

      Delete
  5. I don't tolerate cheating but I don't condemn cheaters. Cheating is unchristian but Christians who don't cheat doesn't make a good judge. Ethics are very important as long as it doesn't lead to self-righteousness. Those who finished their course who constantly cheat are not worthy of it. Can we say that the corrupt are cheaters during school days? Maybe not all of them. I don't encourage cheating but I can't be too hard on others. Circumstances still counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kuya Niel I am curious though why you say "Christians who don't cheat doesn't make a good judge" :)

      Delete
  6. They may be thinking that it is not a big deal and they should do when everyone is doing it in the class and they are afraid that they might fail exam if they don't do that. When I was in my high school, I also did and I was not a Christian yet. I saw that most of my class mates are doing the same. I will teach my children not to cheat in any situation as Christian parent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love your article. You provide a good thought of it. In my context we agree that cheating is a bad thing. I did a few times before I come to Christ as well. I believe that cheating is a sin as same as a stealing. May God bless you po. Mini

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relevant issue for me now. thanks! I encountered these issues and questions from my small group this week because it was their midterm exams. they admitted that they cheated during their exams! They reasoned out that if they don't cheat, they will fail, if they will fail, they will be dismissed or they will not graduate. They cheated because the exam involved memorization of the Human Rights something...too much to memorize.they reasoned out that they knew it is a sin to cheat but they don't have any choice and they repented anyway.I was disheartened to hear such arguments from Christians. Cheating as a sin is not taken seriously.It is tolerated and it is taken for granted. Cheating in class leads to bigger cheating.so, the challenge for me now is to help them understand that cheating is a sin, black and white, and it is not justifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not necessarily Christians, everyone teaches not to cheat on an ethical note. Everyone yet agrees that we cheat and it does not serves well. I agree with what your teacher told you. It is indeed better to lose honestly than to win unjustly. We all know integrity begins at small things and evil would not prevail for long. So, repeat and know what you need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me cheating is better than repeating. I do also respect the issue of we should not cheat but if in case the student is very low in studies and cannot make it even though he tries than in order to save the extra expenses of schools and colleges he should either by hook or crook need to get over it. But again I will say it is better to not cheat but if you cannot make it go for it rather wasting your time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. What do your Christian friends think about cheating in school?

    They are aware it is wrong.

    2. Is there any justifiable reason to cheat in class?

    No.

    3. What do you when you see someone cheat in an exam but you also sometimes cheat during exams?

    Repent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you may do either. It depends on your morality and ethical sense. If you cheat you may be faster and if you repeat you lost time. But, of course, cheating cannot be encouraged. It is always bad.

    ReplyDelete